No announcement yet.

Credit/Background Checks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm in this position right now, when you verbally accepted and called the VP to see if your "one" blemish would be a challenge to the company, did you state that your blemish was a BK?

thanks so much

Originally posted by dspii View Post
    What I discovered through the application and interviewing process is that some companies will use your background as a tool in the "final" decision making. Most companies will not run your credit report, even if you sign the dreaded fine print, until you have interviewed and are in contention for the job. Most jobs that I applied for were executive level which created a huge obstacle....more detailed checks and in my mind, I would be held to a much higher level of super clean background. Not the case in either of the job offers I received...a huge relief, but I can never get back the energy I wasted on worry and lost sleep.

If you read my follow up post that I wrote, the moral of the story is "be prepared". If they are going to use a credit/background check, they will typically do this (at least in my case) after the decision hire is made. Which means, you made them love you, you sold them your skills and talents now they want to offer you a job, if you pass their standards for a background check......again........pass their standards for a background check. Most times it will be almost impossible to find or know their standards. In my case, they offered the job, I verbally accepted and called the VP to see if my "one" blemish would be a challenge to the company. They will use my background check to verify my citizenship, name and SSN. I asked the HR Manager at the job offer I turned down what their standards were...she said almost the same thing but added everyones credit is trashed these days.

In my research, I found that some companies use the checks to exclude otherwise well qualified people...their loss right. Some companies have such strict policies and procedures in the screening process that I was actually happy to get turned away...I would hate to work for such unflexible company. The jest of the matter is that the credit bureaus and bakground check companies did a great job marketing the reports to weed out shady characters, like myself. To me if I found a well qualified person with a BK and our policy was tight, I would fight for the person, but thats me.
    Chapter 7 filed 11/4/10 ---- 341 Meeting 12/1/10 ---- Discharge 1/31/2011.

Comment

Yes, I told him that I had to file bankruptcy....he said that it was a personal issue and not a concern of the company! I did not elaborate, discuss or otherwise try to explain myself...I wasn't asked anything further and got a company credit card with no issues!

Comment

Sorry I did not get a chance to respond sooner but had computer issues. I really appreciate this info, thanks

Originally posted by dspii View Post
        Yes, I told him that I had to file bankruptcy....he said that it was a personal issue and not a concern of the company! I did not elaborate, discuss or otherwise try to explain myself...I wasn't asked anything further and got a company credit card with no issues!
        Chapter 7 filed 11/4/10 ---- 341 Meeting 12/1/10 ---- Discharge 1/31/2011.

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
          On every employment application there is a clause/paragraph which authorizes a prospective employer to do a credit and/or background check. Once you sign that form, they can do it at any time - before they interview you or after they interview you to help determine if a second interview is warranted. Most are done prior to any written offer although many people at an interview are informed they will be contacted after all applicants are seen and the credit and/or background check is run. So being verbal about one's BK during the hiring process may need to be at the interview to try to get one's foot in the door. The best thing to do if one is interested in working for a company and is sending in an application - try to do as much homework/research as possible as to that company's hiring practices. The more you know about the company before you walk in there, the better off you will be and the more impressed they will be.
          You are correct. I am pursuing a job that requires the application, resume etc., be submitted online. The application clearly states "The information provided by me will be the basis for the search of public records, which may include, but is not limited to, a search for criminal records, civil filings, social security number trace, credit worthiness, bankruptcies . . . etc." This is a cut and paste from the employment application.

Therefore, it seems prudent to explain the BK during the first interview (that is, if I get that opportunity), because if they learn of the BK before I have a chance to explain the extenuating circumstances, that will probably be the end of the story. This will not be so easy if the interviewer is not actually part of the final decision-making team. Any advice on breaching this subject with someone low on the totem pole will be appreciated!

Additionally, the BK is linked to other blemishes on my credit report and public records. Namely, tax liens. It has been more than 7 yrs. since I filed and I have not had credit problems since then other than the temporary federal tax lien that the IRS released after several communications and a few months of time. Nevertheless, it may be a challenge to explain that the tax lien is connected to the BK because it occurred more than a year after the initial BK filing date. Actually, everything credit-related is a challenge after BK and I congratulate dspii on a successful outcome!

While I regret that anyone, especially those who are trying to live within their means and meet their obligations should suffer financial problems, it is nice to know I am not alone!

I'm glad I found this forum.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X